We extend our deepest sympathy for your recent loss
We are here to offer our assistance through this process
When we learn an account holder has passed we immediately limit account access for enhanced security.
Complete the Notification form and send via:
P.O. Box 173764
Denver, CO 80217-3764
8515 E. Orchard Rd.
Greenwood Village, CO 80111
Ready to help
Reach a member of our team when you are ready. Call 866-442-3888 weekdays
7 a.m. - 5 p.m. MST.
Please have the following documents available for reference when you call:
- Death certificate.
- Social Security number of the decedent.
- Trust or estate documents if applicable.
Our promise to you
Our goal is to help the confirmed beneficiary claim the account when ready. A member of our beneficiary support services team will discuss all available options based on the type of investment account.
In addition, we encourage contacting an accountant, financial planner or tax advisor for additional counsel.
Answering your questions
On average, the claim process takes one month for you to gather and submit documents, and for document review and processing. To help us process your request:
- Write legibly.
- Ensure signature dates match notary dates.
- Mail death certificates with water marks to ensure readability. If you are sending via fax, photocopy them first to see if they are readable.
- Review federal and state withholding rules in the instruction guide.
A member of our beneficiary support service team can help the confirmed beneficiary:
- Open an IRA with Empower and continue to prepare for retirement.
- Request regular installment payments.
- Open a new account.
- Transfer funds to an existing account.
- Receive a check.
Below are additional resources you may find helpful as you make decisions:
Contact our beneficiary support services team at 866-442-3888 weekdays 7 a.m. - 5 p.m. MST
Contact Empower Investor Services for new or existing IRAs at 866-317-6586 weekdays 6 a.m. - 6 p.m. MST